What's VERA ?
Collaborations with Other VLBI Projects
In addition to the Milky Way Galaxy, VERA will also explore following scientific fields in collaboration with other VLBI projects
- KaVA (KVN and VERA Array)
- KaVA is a Korea-Japan joint VLBI array consisting of 7 stations (four 20m telescopes of VERA and three 21m telescope of KVN), which enables us to obtain high sensitivity radio images with an angular resolution of 1 mas or better.
- Japanese University VLBI Array and East-Asia Network
- In collaboration with universities and research institutes in Japan as well as in east-Asia, a powerful VLBI array with more than 10 stations will be available to obtain high quality map of AGNs.
- Geodetic VLBI
- VERA will also perform regular geodetic VLBI under collaboration with GSI (Geographical Survey Institute) and monitor the crustal motions around Japan.
- RISE (Research in SElenodesy)
- RISE project is a lunar VLBI mission to launch a radio emitting satellite orbiting the moon.
VERA will perform astrometric observations of the radio sources to measure the precise gravitational field of the moon.
- VSOP-II (VLBI Space Observatory Program, II)
- VSOP-II will provide us the highest resolution of AGN images ever obtained. VERA will support the VSOP-II project as ground array.